Located at the foot of the Mount of Olives is the Tomb of the Virgin Mary, also known as the Church of the Assumption. The Church was built by the Benedictines in 1130 on the ruins of previous Christian shrines. Upon entering the Church through the Crusader entrance, visitors descend 44 steps down to the remains of the Byzantine Church. At the center of this lower level lies the Tomb of the Virgin Mary carved into the rock. The present church is maintained by the Greek Orthodox Church & the Armenian Orthodox Church.