Where to go Guide
The Church of St. John in the Wilderness commemorates the place where St. John found refuge after fleeing from the Massacre of the Innocents (Luke 3:2-4, John 1:29-30). The site includes the Sanctuary, the Grotto, the spring, and the Tomb of Elizabeth. The Church of St. John in the Desert was bought by the Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land in November 1911 from the Latin Patriarch, who had in turn bought it between 1850 and 1855. The Patriarch Valerga had an altar placed in the Grotto. The Church and Convent, built by Antonio Barluzzi, were inaugurated in 1922 over the remains of a Crusader Church.