Where to go Guide
The Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu (meaning ‘cock’s crow’) is located on the eastern slope of Mount Zion and is dedicated to Saint Peter’s repentance on hearing the cock’s crow and remembering Jesus’ prophecy. (Mark 14:72) According to Christian tradition, the Church is built over the House of the High Priest Caiaphas, where St. Peter thrice denied Jesus before the crowing of the cock.
In 457AD, a Byzantine shrine was constructed on the site, which was then destroyed in 1010 by the Fatimid Caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah. The Crusaders rebuilt the Chapel in 1102, but after the fall of Jerusalem the site fell into ruin and was abandoned until the beginning of the 20th century. Between 1928 and 1932, the Augustinians of the Assumption took control of the site and built the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu as we know it today.
One of the most beautiful aspects of this Church, are its spectacular views of the Kidron Valley and Silwan.