Where to go Guide
In 1858, the Orthodox Palestine Society, a branch of the Russian Orthodox Church, purchased land for a Russian consulate and pilgrim’s hostel near the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. During construction, remains of what was thought to be the “Judgment Gate”, through which Jesus passed on his way to Golgotha, were discovered. At the end of the 19th century, the present Church was built over these remains. The Church was dedicated to the Russian Emperor Alexander III and his patron saint, St. Alexander Nevsky.