Where to go Guide
Al Sultan Pool or Birket es-Sultan, is located south of the Ibrahimi Mosque, and east of Tel Rumeida. It was built by Sultan Saifed-Dein Qalawun (1279–1290 AD), who controlled Egypt and Palestine during the Mamluk period. He built a square pool with huge stones to supply the city of Hebron and the area nearby with water. The Pool was the arrival point for caravans and a meeting place facing out into the world. Today the Pool is property of the Islamic Awqaf Department, which recently drained the Pool of its water and dried it completely.